Friday, May 1, 2009

Is MySQL 5.1 a compelling upgrade?

Of the many things I noticed last week at the MySQL Conference, one of the most notable was how many companies have not upgraded from MySQL 5.0 to 5.1 yet. Craigslist is in that camp and it seems that we're joined by the likes of Facebook, Google, Yahoo, and about half a dozen other companies that use MySQL heavily.



Come to think of it, SmugMug are the only folks I've talked with who've made the jump (video).



So it's not much of a surprise that Percona is asking if they should backport 5.4 fixes to 5.0.



Given our usage of MySQL to date, the only really compelling reason to upgrade is to get access to the InnoDB plug-in (and XtraDB). I'd like to get compression, some of the various performance patches, and tuning options, so plug-in support is a requirement. But beyond that, I just don't see anything new in 5.1 that we need.



As I noted in The Real or Official MySQL? Does Not Matter!, the storage engines matter more than the various add-on features in the server itself.



Have you upgraded or are you thinking about it? If so, why? If not, why not?

(comments)



Read More...

[Source: Jeremy Zawodny's blog - Posted by FreeAutoBlogger]

No comments:

Post a Comment